Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sponsors

After a meeting the other day a friend of mine commented. "You sure quote your sponsors a lot. Come on Jim, the sponsors you refer to, Johnny, Billy and Lee have been dead for over 10 years. Hell they were your first sponsors, yet you make it seem like you talk to them on a daily basis. That was years ago and in another state, right?"

"You're right, those three jokers have been dogging me ever since I asked them to be my sponsor. They've been in my ear on a daily basis in the worst of times and in the best of times. They've never failed to show up. Of course there have been times that I thought they were full of s--t and have tuned them out; but I have to thank God that they have always been patient. They've let me make my mistakes, knowing that being stubborn I can't always learn the easy way.Sometimes I have to get my nose bloody before I get it."

"You mean after all these years you still hold conversations with them?

"Certainly, in my life, they were there when at 28 years old I was less than zero . I couldn't hit my butt with both hands. I didn't know anything about living. About being a father, husband, honesty, staying away from a drink, or about loving and being loved. These three took me under their wings and guided me into being all those things and more."

"Of course I've accumulated a few more sponsors over the years but the Three Wise Men found me when I was a lost ball in the tall weeds. They're the ones who cleaned me up and put me back in play. This sicko is eternally grateful for their nurturing me into health and to the God of my understanding that they helped me find."

"Yes, we still talk on a daily basis, their messages are still clear. Yes I still argue with them but I usually end up listening to them."

In another posting I'll introduce you to them.

JF

2 comments:

  1. I believe I've already met those three guys--about 35 years ago, they did for me, what they have done for you. Brought me around that point of turning.

    "Turn your head around, Steve...now GO that way!"

    God post, thanks.
    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this as well. I often say that I have three sponsors, two of them are alive and I talk more to the dead one than the live ones. Dr. Earle Marsh is the dead one and I think of him almost daily. With most challenges, I hear his gentle voice --- simple things he said when he still had a body, but present and true as ever.

    I still talk with Dave (Earle's sponsee, my sponsor) and Russ (Dave's sponsee, my sponsor) but not as regularly as I talk with Earle. Earle's sort of taken a virtual presence/residence in my life. He gave me the freedom to be me, never told me what to do, listened intently and without judgment, and best of all, told great stories.

    Can't wait to hear your stories, especially the sponsor ones! thanks!

    Mike L.

    ReplyDelete