Monday, October 5, 2009

Practice These Priciples

My experience.

A few days ago I heard a newcomer lament. "my sponsor tells me I'm not ready for the Third Step because I haven't satisfied him that I've done a good job of completing the Second Step."

Wow, what a far cry from what I heard from my first sponsor Billy. After one of my first meetings he caught me near the door. My mind was racing a hundred miles an hour. I was utterly confused. All I knew was I ha d to suit up, show up and face life the next day. Life consisted of: a wife at the end of her rope, four children; two failing businesses and I was in over my head in financial and legal trouble. I whined. "I don't get it, how am I going to make it?"

I couldn't get my head to stop long enough to hone in on what the Steps meant. The only thing that got through all the chatter was.
What the hell do you do now? You can't drink. So what do you do now that you can't drink?"

Billy said. "Kid, you're going to be fine. You've admitted you can't drink; that your life is a mess and now have some blind hope, after sharing our stories with you, that this insanity could stop. You also told me you've pleaded with God, God if there is a God take my life 'cause I don't want it and it seems nobody else wants it either. Sounds like you've taken the first three Steps and hit on a number of others without realizing it. You had to or you wouldn't be here tonight."

Putting his arm around my shoulder he went on. "You have just been given a tool chest filled with Twelve valuable tools for living. They're important since you've just traded your drinking problem for a living problem. They come with a lifetime guarantee to work. However there is one condition; they're yours for only one-day-at-a-time. Each and every morning from here on you have to report in to your HP and check them out for the next twenty-four hours. Of course the choice is yours."

He gave me a little card with the Twelve Steps on one side and the Serenity Prayer on the other. "Welcome to the big leagues. As long as you're here you're going to have to practice everyday. Keep the card in your shirt pocket. Show up for practice tomorrow morning. Ask your HP to stay away from that first drink. Practice living your life using these simple Steps."

I shook my head, he went on. "Don't worry we all started out the same way. You're going to be all thumbs and you'll be awkward as hell at first. The best way to learn is with hands-on experience and practice, practice, practice."

He saw the puzzled look on my face and continued. "At first they will look like they are written in a foreign language. Believe me, don't look for any hidden meaning in them. The meaning you'll get out of them will be sufficient for today. Simple follow their directions. Any translation you'll need you'll find by praying, meditation and experience. Call me. I'll stick with you as long as you want me to. Remember we're going to a meeting tomorrow night."

Going out the door he added. "KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. You've just started on this spiritual journey. Don't worry you won't ever get it perfect but you'll will learn more about living the Steps as each day passes."

JF

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes thing that people are so focused and intent on doing the steps "perfectly" that they pay more attention to "form" than "substance." Suppose it rooted in fear and the mistaken idea that we can somehow obtain safe haven from the potential first drink by appearing to do the steps "the right way."

    My sense is this is an ill-fated attempt to reassert power over alcohol, mistaking the problem as something (alcohol or anything else) "out there" rather than something within.

    My problem wasn't and isn't alcohol or even alcoholism. It was (and is) the refusal to be who I am, trying to be someone I'm not. I AM an alcoholic. My problems begin and end with my attempts to avoid that inner and physiological truth.

    For me, the insanity of alcoholism isn't your typical everyday insanity: it's more simple than that. It's based in the belief that we should and can be someone that we aren't. I'm not insane because I happen to be an alcoholic, I'm insane when I attempt to be a non-alcoholic: even a sober one.

    I love your stories! I tried to email you directly at "jamesfrdrck537@comcast.net" but it was returned as undeliverable. Is that the correct address?

    Thanks again!

    Mike L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, wisdom from experience.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete