Saturday, May 1, 2010

Texting - What Next, Sky Diving?

Shamed into it other day, both my wife and I.
It all started weeks before as a result of our bitching about being the last to hear any news from our daughters and granddaughters. All Blackberry-ed up.
We stood our ground. I stated the argument against, my wife chimed in.
“No, we do email, have latest phones, I’ve started a blog, you’ve caved and joined Facebook. Not going to add another hazard to our highways”
“No, there’s a limit. Why do we have to text?”
” I remember when we only had a party-line when I was growing up.”
“Right and we kids could only stay on the line for 2 minutes or less and had to ask permission from mom or dad.”
If we stayed on longer we would hear from the other room.
“Your two minutes are up. Off. Say goodbye.”
The clincher came as a result of not hearing any news from the hospital about a friend of ours. His wife, a black-belt Blackberry wielder had kept all our other friends up to date texting, one text fit all, as she sat and waited outside the operating room.
When my wife finally reached her, my wife apologized noting that she had called several times but “You were probably too busy to return my calls.”
Tired and drained from the ordeal with the hospital and her husband’s operation she blurted out to my wife.
“when are you two going to hook up to the new millennium? I’ve texted everybody.
Get with it.”
“All right, all right all ready, we get it.”
Stop laughing.
A couple hours later, smug smiles on our faces we thanked the sales rep (as we would a pilot when deplaning) for helping us take another giant step (for us) into cellular space.

Jim

5 comments:

  1. I would "gamble" there is no earthly thrill so exciting as sky diving, save that of Russian Roulette. And they are equally dangerous.

    And I am not "into" either, nor do I recommend it to sponsees, unless they keep getting drunk--BIG grin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jim, loved your post today! i, too, want to ask the question-how much is too much?? i understand howk important it is for people to stay in touch but i fear we are living in a time when no one wants to take the time to actually TALK anymore...either can't/won't take the time for a real conversation. i have to admit that i'm guilty of this at times, especially when it comes to my 15 year old gdaughter! there is so much drama when we talk by phone that i chicken out and choose texting :)
    my hat is off to both of you for being flexible and so available to those who love you, to those who insist on you doing it there way, on their terms.
    oh, gotta go, aol says i've got mail! just kidding ;) have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, wonderful post Jim... made me smile this morning! welcome to the world of total disconnection thru communication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say, "Honk if you love Jesus. Text if you want to meet him!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love sky diving...really more than testing. smiles. it is a great way to touch base but i get way too many!

    ReplyDelete