Thursday, May 6, 2010

God Like a Used Car


I was at a turning point in my life; I was about to lose everything. I had to admit I was alcoholic, that my life was unmanageable. Out of options I sought help. The man I talked to suggested that I join them in AA and reach out to the God of my understanding for help.

I was no longer convinced there was a God. He suggested that I pray. ”God if there is a God help me.” "Try it, put Him to the test. It doesn't matter what you believe,it'll work." So I did, God did, I became convinced.

Later when I did lose everything including the cars I had to settle on buying my first used car. I put the purchasing of the car to test.

I was desperate,
You were a last resort.
Why else would I
turn to you?
They said
You were reliable
could be trusted.
You would help.

Not fully convinced
I closed my eyes,
threw caution to the wind,
opened the door
stepped in.
Behind the wheel
I turned the key,
shifted gears
and drove off.

To me, you were
just another used car
I tested you,
kicked your tires
tested your handling
on open road and
down congested streets.

I found you to be like no other
No rattles, no shakes
unswerving, balanced and
aligned.
Your timing perfect,
you purred
like a kitten in cruise
and roared
like a lion with petal to the metal.

Devoid of faith
I bought You
bumper to bumper
simply by trusting
others and
praying,
If this is the
One let it be the One.

Need a used car?
Come, take a test drive.
Trust us,
you’ll find the One for you.


JIm

2 comments:

  1. jim, this is such a humorous view of the divine and i loved it! people just don't know what they're missing ;)

    ReplyDelete