Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Balance


Went to Writers Guild last night. Quarterly board meeting with monthly membership meeting following. Had a speaker, a writer with more than 40 years experience and sixteen books published. Quite an unusual man. Published his first book, one story at age nine. It was a children's book complete with illustrations. He had the newspaper clipping to prove it.

His has been an exhausting career with most often two of more "projects" on the grill at the same time. He was quite entertaining with enough tips on writing to fill a book. No,it's one book he hasn't attempted preferring to travel when and where ever to perform in person.

I sat there wondering how he has kept up the pace over the years. Where did he get all the time? I didn't have to ask;he clarified it for me. He explained that his whole life is his writing, then he gave us one of those "don't try this in your home" ... if you aren't single bits.

I was relieved. As much as I would love to have more time to write I am grateful and happy that my life is such that I must fit writing into my life not my life into my writing.

Jim

3 comments:

  1. "I must fit writing into my life not my life into my writing"
    But what if your life IS writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how easily we, as alcoholics, take the "all or nothing" approach? With EVERYTHING??? I know I do, and when I start to fizzle out, I wonder why.

    Great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AA teaches me that for this alcoholic, balance is essential due to my "all or nothing" default attitude. I lose myself in things if I am not careful.

    Nice post, thanks Jim!

    ReplyDelete