Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wiser

Thank God it's not how many times we stumble
but how many times we pick ourselves up
and start all over again.

Exhausted
I’ve run the path,
rarely stopping.
Escaping, pursuing
most times not knowing
what or where.

I’ve ziged I’ve-zaged
to a fancy here,
a dead end there.
Many times
to find the path again
I’ve retraced my steps
and made amends.

Back on the straight
and narrow
pleased yet humbled
I’ve prided myself to be
if not a whole lot smarter
a tad bit wiser.

However tied to ego,
my inflamed I
will have its way
despite for guidance
I thought I prayed.
My plan?
Never again to stray,
yet stray again,
many times I have.

As farther up and down
life’s path I stumbled
I learned this lesson well.
I need not stray,
if before I wander off
I’d pray.
God take my hand,
Lead, I’ll follow.
james frederick m 3.10

4 comments:

  1. ...and that's the path of life. let's just keep our eyes wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my mind that just about tells it as it is. Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true. David Richo ends his book "Everyday Commitments" with a statement that I find solace in oftentimes: "All that matters is that we start over one more time than we give up, get cracking one more time than we pull away, keep going back to the drawing board one more time than we abandon it."

    That's a great ending to a great book of 52 wonderful commitments. Some never venture into commitments due to the fear of failure --- suppose that was really true for me toward the end of my drinking. I just couldn't stop because I knew that it was impossible for me to stay sober for the rest of my life. Then one morning, I woke up faced with the same reality: I can't stop drinking. Miraculously (but given the circumstances of my 15 year old son then having 5 months 10 days clean time---not all that surprising) the next thought was that this inability to stop was alcoholism. And then with a deep inner sigh of relief, I realized that I could do what my son had been doing: I could stay sober one day at a time. Even if I "failed" and drank at some point, the truth was that sobriety was possible.

    Not guaranteed for the rest of my life. But possible today. Jim, thanks again for showing me the way, the path and the light.

    Mike L.

    ReplyDelete