Thursday, July 30, 2009

Knowing Jim the way I do he would tell you, "I like Wednesdays, of course I like any day I get up. I also like Tuesdays and Thursdays; my tennis days. Saturdays and Sundays more tennis, occasional church and travel to Nashville to visit the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Mondays are catch up around the house day. But getting back to Wednesday the highlight of the day is going to the noon meeting followed by a meditation group."

The AA meeting and the Contemplative Prayer (meditation) group held in the same church are both spiritual (non-religion bound). Steeped in the way of the Higher Power and God as 'I understand God", Jim and I lean toward simplicity in our spiritual life. We definitely flinch at any religion claiming they have the only true way to God.

After all the churches I've attended and the books I have read since getting to know Jim, I have come full circle and agree to what Johnny, Jim's first sponsor, suggested to him. "Keep it simple, your problem is you think of God as out to get you or that God doesn't exist at all. Why the hell don't you just pray, God if there is a God help me? Then sit down, take a quiet time and just listen and don't be surprised if the voice you hear simply says call your sponsor or get off you butt and help someone else."

Johnny was always eager to share his understanding of God.
" It was in the first weeks of my last drink.(1954). I was standing at the window of my skid row room in Chicago.I was playing in the dust on the window sill waiting for my ride to an AA meeting; thinking how in just these few weeks how my life had changed. I knew my life was finally headed in a different direction. As I formed the words Good Orderly Direction, it became immediately evident to me. This new direction in my life was God; Good Orderly Direction."
.
Johnny was the product of simple mountain religion, I in turn was the product of thirteen years of formal religion training. Johnny's wisdom far exceeded my education.

1 comment:

  1. There's a line in my most favorite piece of AA literature, a pamphlet called "A Members Eye View of AA" where the author (I believe he got sober in 1954 or so...) says, "The longer I'm in AA the less I believe in a God of my understanding, and the more I have come to believe in a God who understands me."

    That sounds good to me.... Thanks!

    Mike L.

    ReplyDelete