Saturday, July 10, 2010

Keep It Simple

Missed you all.
This past several days have had been marked by life events (physical, financial, family), each requiring full attention. What can I say I’ve been busy.

In the midst of all the goings-on I picked up an old book, The Tao Of Pooh (Hoff). Just the ticket as I needed something simple and light hearted. The TOP is based on the Pooh children stories and its characters. Wanted something that would call my mind out to play.

I know, you would probable suggest that I pray, meditate, read the “literature” reach out to someone else (sponsee or sponsor), go to meeting, turn it over to HP. All of them time proven and excellent ways of getting out of myself and into HP’s will.

I did all of the above, however I also believe that if I do some or all of the above my HP will then present me with the opportunity to take action (or not) to adjust my attitude. To wake me up or present me with the insight to trust in my HP, to turn it over, then pray for the direction to do the next “right” thing.

That “opportunity” this time came in the form of the “Tao Of Pooh” silly as it may seem. My HP has a sense of humor, evidence in that He has put up with me.

In the TOP it is explained that in Toaism (The Way) the most important principle is the
Uncarved Block. “That the things in their original simplicity contain their own natural power, power that is easily spoiled and lost when that simplicity is changed.

Eureka! Who would have guessed? I saw it as the “Steps”!
The principles which have motivated me, for over four and a half decades, to show up daily, in my sweats, for practicing living “life on life’s terms.” In their simplicity they contain the power. The power to face all or any of life’s opportunities.

Of course to my sophisticated (right) and ego-driven mind I hear myself saying, “It can’t possible work, that’s too damn simple." I have to spoil them, Complicate them.

So my mantra has always been….Keep It Simple Stupid…knowing that by suiting up and showing up willing to practice
I will find the way to peace of mind and serenity in the simple steps I take today.

Jim

6 comments:

  1. jim, i just love your sense of humor and your simple way of looking at your life! you give such encouragement in sharing your life as an open book and i appreciate that you do! much love and peace as you settle into your new lifestyle with your daughter on board...may she heal quickly and enjoy your company as she takes a deep breath, soaks in the love of her parents, and sets out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Son...Whats happenin?
    Lets hope that things will be getting MUCH better OK?
    Thanks for stopping by...G

    ReplyDelete
  4. keeping it simple is the best way I've found... not always easy to do, but pays dividends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just stopping by to say hello...it's been awhile since i've seen you post and i'm hoping that that is just a sign that you're having a wonderful summer! hope that you are doing well, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi JF,
    I see we likewise have taken a break. Great post, I read TOP years ago and it is a wonderful reminder of those words.
    I hope all is well in your world.)

    ReplyDelete