Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Guest House

Attended a A/D Treatment Conference in Nashville last week. My wife went along. While I stayed at the Conference hotel she stayed at a granddaughters home. Nothing unusual, knew the city, got to a meeting everyday.
Before the 5pm meeting I called my wife. She felt she needed to stay the night with me at the hotel. I broke a dinner engagement and picked her up.
At 11:30pm she rolled over and asked.
"Take me to the hospital, I'm having sharp pain in my abdomen."
Half asleep I called the front desk for help, all the while praying the Serenity Prayer remindful of Rumi's Guest House..
"We can call for an ambulance or you can take her to a nearby hospital."
We dressed, I got the directions to the hospital and she was admitted to the ER within the half hour. Fortunately the docs caught the internal bleeding before it could turn fatal.
We spent the rest of the night, until 6am, in the ER with CTs, intervenes, and antibiotics.
When the results of the CT came in she was transferred to a hospital room. She is back home doing fine. Thank God.
It's things like this that we have come to expect in our lives as a part of a bigger Will.

The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness.
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
Empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond. Rumi

JF

1 comment:

  1. You posted a tremendously kind comment on my blog the other day and I just had to quickly thank you for that and for your blog here. I do not automatically admire/respect someone just because they have a lot of sober time -- I have witnessed several with 40+ years, who if I turn out as rigid and/or angry as them, I can only pray that my wife will take pity on my and shoot me in my fitful sleep!--but you are clearly one of those special people who've found a new way of living within this weird organization called Alcoholics Anonymous and are living a life beyond your wildest drunken or newcomer dreams.

    I was lucky enough to meet and befriend another oldtimer shortly after I woke up sober 10/21/01 and my whole life in sobriety has been enriched as a result of the relatively short time I was able spend with him before his death. Dr. Earle had gotten sober (6/15/53) two days before I was born (6/17/53) and when he died I was there holding his hand. I was sober only 14 months when that happened.

    What struck me particularly, well, weird about reading this blog of yours today was that you wrote it on 9/27/09. That was when I was just beginning my "shadow work" as a result of a gift of my wife (of 28 years) in the form of a book, "Shadow Dance" by David Richo. What was amazing to me now is that before I even knew you or read your blog, I'd already drafted which contained this poem by Rumi.

    The Guest House is something I've recited many mornings over the last two years or so ---but it wasn't until the other day that I really understood it and its relevance for my renewed shadow work....

    Anyway, this whole shadow work has thrown my life into a wonder-filled somewhat/sometimes chaotic mess: and it's great!

    Welcome to the blogosphere! Please write more stories! I want to know more about your sponsors (and you, too!) and the stories they passed on to you. I never tired of hearing them from Earle and I haven't yet tired of hearing them (again and again) from my two "live" sponsors, Dave and Russ.

    Take care!

    Mike L.

    ReplyDelete